JOSÉ MALDONADO STARK
Member of the business department of the firm since 2001 and Partner from 2009. Mr. Maldonado Stark has focused his practice on transactions, international project finance and development, mergers and acquisitions, energy, government procurement and agency and distribution.
Mr. Maldonado has advised local and foreign investors in areas of trade, real estate, infrastructure, and financial intermediation services. Within his clients are the Dominican state, multinational corporations on electromechanical engineering, energy and health, financial intermediaries and institutions, investment funds and asset ownership and administration, distributors and producers of beverages and lubricants, corporations dedicated to the business sales department.
He assisted to the leading company of the consortium awarded the procurement of the Line 2-B of the Metro of Santo Domingo. Likewise, assisted the state-owned corporation of energy holdings in the international tender context for the construction of two new power plants, holding and potential financing schemes with state warranty. He served as Legal Counsel of an Australian bank in the finance and structuring of the guarantee package for the development of a mining project. Mr. Maldonado-Stark has advised mayor financial intermediaries, investment banks and global enterprises in local debt acquisitions. Also has represented clients in mergers and acquisitions transactions with transnational corporations and assisting to the real estate developers on finance and real estate transactions. Acted as key attorney in the acquisition of a 49% shares interest in the most important local steel and construction material manufacturer, representing the buyer, a Brazilian steel producer considered the largest producer in America and one of the most important in the world as steel maker. Represented the Dominican sector, of the most important producers of soft drinks of the country, in the strategic alliance and later purchase, by one of the most important breweries of the world.
He has been providing assistance to a major financial corporation in its evaluation and structuring a financing of a project as well as provided support to major distributors of products on their negotiations for the termination or maintenance of their agency, manufacturing and distribution agreements.
Mr. Maldonado has been recommended in Corporate/Commercial practice area by Chambers and Partners Latin America. According to Chamber and Partners “Clients describe him as good professional, has a broad knowledge of the area and knows all the players in the energy sector.” He has also been recommended by Legal 500 Latin America.
- Universidad Iberoamericana (UNIBE) (JD, August 1999) Magna Cum Laude;
- Boston University School of Law, LLM in American Law (Concentration on Corporative Law and Securities Regulation), 2001.
- University of Paris (Pantheon-Sorbonne), France, Certificate “Summer Institute of International and Comparative Law”, Cornell Law School.
- Is currently attending a LLM in Constitutional Law at Universidad de Castilla de la Mancha and Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra
Maldonado Stark is a former member of the Meritas Board of Directors and current member of its quality assurance committee. Meritas is an association of business law firms, with 191 law firms affiliated from more than 96 countries. Meritas selects its members by invitation only, and to keep with their membership, the firms must follow strict quality standards, submitting every three years to a rigorous evaluation and re-certification process. Maldonado Stark also serves on the Energy and Legal Committees of the American Chamber of Commerce of the Dominican Republic (AMCHAMDR), the Investment Committee Association of Foreign Investment Companies (ASIEX), member of the Public Affairs, Legislative and Biomass Committee and the Sustainability and Innovation Committee of the Association for the Promotion of Renewable Energies (ASOFER) and member of the ECommerce and Regulation working groups of the Dominican Association of Fintech Companies (ADOFINTECH).
- “Guía Jurídica de Valores y Análisis al Proyecto de Ley de Mercado de Valores en la República Dominicana”.
- Latin Lawyer: Acquisition Finance, 2018
- Renewal Energy Incentives under Dominican Law, Bohío Magazine, 2016.
- Law of Transparency and Patrimonial Revaluation, Bohío Maganize, 2020.
- Meritas COVID-19 Short Overview of Current Situation in DR, 2020.
- Latin Lawyer Regulators – Energy, Infrastructure & Transport 2020 – National Energy Commission (CNE), 2020.
- Latin Lawyer: Electricity Project & Regulation, 2019.
- “Duplicidad que Afecta el Desarrollo Inmobiliario: Fondo de Pensiones de los Trabajadores de la Construcción”, Revista Bohío, edición Junio – Julio 2019.
- “Ley de Notarios y Algunos Efectos en los Negocios”, Revista Bohío, edición abril – mayo 2019.
- Novedades Sobre la Nueva Ley 155-17 Contra el Lavado de Activos, Revista Bohío, 2018.
- Latin Lawyer: Mergers and Adquisitions, 2017.
English, Spanish and Portuguese.